If you're not one for spending a whole Saturday hosting a garage sale outside, especially during the winter months, how about hosting one on your social media. You might be surprised to find out there are several online groups in your area called "Online Yard Sales", that you can post unwanted items or items you're willing to rent out to make extra money.
Here are some tips on how to do it effectively:
1. Take good pictures. Make sure you clean up the item. Put it in natural light when possible, and clear out any clutter in the background. The picture you take of the item makes all the difference between you selling it for top dollar or not selling it all.
2. Give a good description. If you want to sell it fast make sure you give all the specs on the item. You don't want to go back and forth with a potential buyer only to find out it's the wrong size, or it's not what they want when they get to your house to pick it up.
3. Price it right. You can usually get almost 30% of the new value when selling through social media, as opposed to a yard sale where the rate is closer to 10%. If your item is in good condition and is a highly desirable item don't be afraid to ask what you think it's worth. Look up your item on ebay and amazon to get an idea of what new and used are going for. You might not be able to ask top dollar, but you'll at least know where to start. You can alway post that you're taking offers on the item as well, which sometimes results in a bidding war.
4. Know what sells. Know who your buyers are and what they want. Currently top selling items on social media are furniture, motorized vehicles, named brand clothing, and baby supplies.
5. People post what they are looking for, or "In Search Of" posts. Go through these posts and see if you have any of the items, this is a great way to make some quick money.
6. Rent it out. Do you have a 10 ft ladder? A drill? Or outside flood lights? Many people want to "borrow" this type of stuff and are willing to pay you for it. Rent something you have to a friend or neighbor to make some extra money. Let people know what you have that you're willing to rent, give them a good deal for a daily cost, and make sure you're dealing with someone you trust.
The best thing with selling and renting things on social media is that you're dealing with friends and neighbors, people you already know and trust. Why not give a friend a great deal on something they need, and you're willing to give up? Good luck, and happy shopping.
To find a group that you'd like to buy and sell on, visit www.Sharetown.com